SHOW NOTES: Lifelong Reading Rollercoaster
- Episode: Lifelong Reading Rollercoaster
- Date released: 12/05/2021
- Guest: Joe, the creator of @wallacethewhale on Instagram
- Overview: Join Laura and her guest Joe, creator of Wallace the Whale, ramble about the ups and downs they experienced as avid readers. They also reminisce about Scholastic book fairs, Book-it, when they were the most in love with reading, their biggest reading slumps, and reading challenges they took on along the way.
Thank you for listening to this episode of Laura’s Rambles. If you were unfamiliar with some of the references on the show, below will provide your curious minds with more information. If you still haven’t listened, check out the episode below or on Spotify.
For the curious:
- Just as a note, I mentioned “the honors nerds” and failed to mention that I was included in this group. Honors English class, not Math…refer to the story about The Indian in the Cupboard box set.
- A scary book from Joe’s childhood that I gave a chance in my 30s – The Barking Ghost by R.L. Stine
- Apparently Book-it is still a thing.
- I’m so glad the Scholastic Book Fair still happens!
- Choose your own adventure board game based on the original books from the 70s or 80s – House of Danger
- Reading challenges mentioned:
- I’m not going to list all the books we talked about, but here were some of the favorites:
- Joe’s Favorites:
- Laura’s favorites:
- Honorable Mentions
- The Salman Rushdie clip from Bob’s Burgers
- Sawyer from Lost reading Watership Down
Domino’s Farms was mentioned and my guest, Joe, was kind enough to send in this original illustration to help the non-Michiganders better understand what happens at Domino’s Farms. It feels like I’m there…
My reading spreadsheets came up in our discussion. If you love spreadsheets and books as much as me, maybe you’ll appreciate these. The first is my TBR Tower tracking sheet and the bottom is tracking my reading habits to see if there was a pattern to my reading slumps. After writing all this out I realize March is a month I apparently don’t care to read.
Lastly, if you know anyone else who has completed the BBC reading challenge feel free to download and present them with this reading challenge certificate.
You might also like:
- SHOW NOTES: HALLOWEEN RAMBLING
- SHOW NOTES: TRAVEL BUCKET LISTS – THE BENEFITS AND DRAWBACKS
- CREATIVE TRAVELOGUE: CHARMED
- TRAVEL JOURNAL TIPS: CUBAN EDITION
Like this post? Pin it so others can, too!